Blogging is one of the best ways of learning
I can’t stress enough how important it is to blog if you want to become better at web development. You learn so much more by explaining something in your own words than by just reading and copying & pasting.
I overcame my fear of writing and speaking, because I realized that…
- It doesn’t matter if someone else has written about the same topic. Different perspectives are important.
- You don’t have to create cool demos or present smart hacks. Most people are looking for actionable advice, not next level shit or eye candy.
- It doesn’t matter how many people read your blog. Someone somewhere will be glad you wrote that article.
- Talk about what interests you, not about what you believe others will like. Most of my talks and articles are about “basic” HTML and CSS, because that's what I like.
- Don’t be afraid to write/speak in a foreign language. I speak English with a strong accent and there are probably many mistakes in this tweet alone, but guess what, most people don’t care. My English isn’t perfect, but I gave a talk in Toronto and people understood me…
…at least I hope they did. 😁
- It’s okay to make mistakes. If you or someone else finds an error, fix it, explain what and why you’ve changed it and move on.
- Don’t be afraid of what others might say or think. Some people are assholes (ignore), but most people are nice.
I’ve learned so much more in the last 4-5 years compared to the years before, just because I wrote and talked about the topics that interested me and not about things I already knew.
This is a copy of a thread on Twitter.